Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Movie tonight

I just came home from  My Book & Heart Shall Never Part, and I want to write about it while it is still fresh in my mind.

These are my thoughts for the night:

Books are just books until they are read.  But once they have been read, they become apart of us. They remain with us forever.

The movie, I believe, had different kinds of references embedded into its script, and I'm sure that I only caught a handful of the witty Sexonisms. But I did get some of the basic points.

Of course...The story is the story.  The magic of My Book & Heart Shall Never Part was the way it sounded. There were three speakers, each one intoxicating.  I believe the word is incantatory?

The telling of the nursery rhymes and Aesop's tales created a rhythm that caught my daughter's attention instantly. 

I am not familiar with Little Goody Two Shoes, nor Little Red Riding Hood, retold.  

Right now, my daughter Izzy is learning to read.  She is four, and she is so exited to read books! It is so cool to see her beginning to be aware of a different kind of world than she has known thus far.  I think what caught my attention most tonight, was the comment than when children begin to read, they change.  They become different because the story becomes a part of them. 

I guess it seems that there are different ways of celebrating literacy.  Some people read books, some people watch movies, while other people read everything.  Even little labels, cartoons, accidental grammar slips, fables, newspaper lines, etc..., instruct our world.

Some funny moments in the movie were when those tidbits were read out loud.

No comments: